July 1927 – A new working mens’ club was opened by Councillor Fred Holroyd. The new building, which replaced less commodious premises on Huddersfield Road, is situated on a site in Rosebery Street, and has been designed by Mr Exley Fisher, who is architect to Elland District Council.
The cost of the building, exclusive of fence wall and furnishings, will be around £3,000. The building is faced with best Huncoat bricks and the dressings are of stone. The roof is covered with Welsh slates. The basement contains a large beer cellar, a spirit store, and a heating apparatus chamber. On the ground floor there are the billiards room, committee room, conversation room, ladies’ room and kitchen, together with the bar and the usual conveniences. It is intended to construct bowling greens and tennis courts.
The’great and the good’ of Elland made their speeches about the benefit of this new club to the working men of the district. Councillor Lumb referred ‘to the wisdom of including ladies in the club membership, especially in view of the fact that women were to take an equal part with men in national and local government.’
Councillor Holroyd was handed a presentation key, made of solid silver gilt, and he then opened the club. Entertainment was provided by Elland Silver Band, handbell ringers, a Pierrot performance and sports for the children (a prize for all participants).
Best wishes to Elland WMC on their 90th anniversary at Rosebery Street.