Dodgson Street

From a 1956 Courier article

‘Eighty years ago a builder and contractor, Mr James Whiteley, started putting up houses, in blocks of four, near the top of South Lane in Elland. His contemporaries were at a loss to understand why he should build “out in the country” instead of in the town itself. “You’ll never let them. Nobody will want to live up there,” he was told.

Mr Whiteley’s reply was that it was a good site, that people would go there, and that in their lifetime they would see Elland spread right up to and perhaps beyond his new houses. 

At that time the nearest houses to the new terrace were some cottages near the bottom of South Lane, and Burleigh House, at the end of Burley Street. Between stretched fields, crossed by footpaths, for there were then no Savile Road, Rosebery and Charles Streets. 

But Mr Whiteley was indeed a true prophet, for by the turn of this century, streets and houses sprung up right across to South Lane. He was right, too, in his forecast that there would be no difficulty in letting his new houses, for even now they are in keen demand. 

To start his new venture, Mr Whiteley bought a part of the estate of Mr Joshua Dodgson, a dyer, after whom Dodgson Street, running at the back of South Lane, is named. He built some 20 houses in Dodgson Street, starting at the bottom, and named the block of property Richmond Terrace, because his wife was a native of Richmond. 

Although in official documents the houses are listed as in Dodgson Street, people who live there still use Richmond Terrace as their address. 

Mr James Whiteley also built houses in Langdale and Catherine Streets and in part of Elizabeth Street, mills in South Lane and at Elland Bridge, and the Atlas Soap Works in South Lane, which were later burnt down.’

Mesmerising

From 1853

‘A course of six lectures, during this and the latter part of last week, has been delivered at Elland by Mr Sheldon Chadwick, which have given the greatest satisfaction. Mr Chadwick is certainly the most able expounder of this science that has yet visited Elland; and a singular proof of his success has been forwarded in the shape of the following testimonial, which, if true, is important; and, if true, deserves exposure:-

The effects of Mesmerism or Biology, by Mr Sheldon Chadwick, which took place on the 28th instant, at the house of Mrs Jean Stott, New Street, Elland, upon the person of Mrs Sarah Kelsa, also of New Street, who could not walk across the house floor without being assisted by crutches. Since the effects of mesmerism Mrs Kelsa is now able to go about and do her own house duties without the aid of crutches or any person’s assistance. 

Mr Fox (constable), Mr Baxendall (innkeeper) and Mr Jonas Beaumont (herbalist) corroborated Mr Chadwick’s “cure”.’